Friday, December 5, 2008

And away we go!

My mom hates it here. She has complained about everyday that she's been here. Or, I must not be paying enough attention to her and she's showing out.

Mother as daughter.

She's decided that she wants to go home after 4 weeks at my place. I'm not too broken up about it because she wants to be in her own space, I can totally understand that.

We had a nice Thanksgiving at my older sister's house. My sister worked really hard on her home recently and wanted to get my mother's approval for the improvements. Before we left for my sisters, I took my mother to the side and sternly asked her to be on her best behavior.

Daughter as mother.

She gave me the all-too-familiar "What?! I don't know what you're talking about."

We arrived and my mother did "Oh" and "Ah" appropriately. We sit to chat around my sister's new dining room table. My mother gets herself comfortable as she looks around the room. My sister steps out of the room to check on the kids and my mother looks out the window to the back yard and says, "She needs to wash her windows!" I immediately shushed her. My sister didn't hear. Luckily, unlike a child, my mother fixed her face before my sister returned to the room. A good time was had by all.

I cooked up a storm! I stayed up late Wednesday night making candied yams, yellow cake with chocolate icing, sweet potato pie and cheese cake. I also made stuffing and green bean casserole. My sister made mac and CHEESE, potato salad, mashed potatoes, turkey, ham and greens. I can tell that eating like I have some sense has become a habit because I didn't eat until I was miserable. I nibbled quite a bit though. I didn't have some of everything that night. I understood that the majority of the leftovers was coming home with me so I knew that I'd get my chance. Even though I feed a small third world country every month. We cook and eat simple tasty food.

I think that's another reason that my mother wants to go home. We don't eat out. She's purchased dinner about 5 times since she's been here even though she has seen us stock up on the basics and knows how we eat. We have tried to please her as much as possible. She likes fish. We've had fish for dinner about 6 times in 4 weeks. Fried fish. We will probably have fish again tonight. It is Friday after all.

More to come...

1 comment:

Catherine said...

Oh Nicole, I just love you! First of all, I REALLY want to be invited over for dinner. That, or teach me to cook. As for Daughter as Mother, I so feel your pain. I have my Dad here visiting and he still treats me like I'm twelve. Keep on keeping on, love yourself, and call me if you need to vent!