Saturday, December 5, 2009

Spoken Word

I recently attended a poetry reading for the first time. It was amazing!

I am sad to report that my preconceptions about the whole spoken word experience have been negatively affected by too much television. The event I attended was an intimate affair put on my Dare2BDifferent productions, I think that is how it is spelled.

I am having a hard time putting the experience into words. It doesn't really make sense to me. "WOW!" is the first thing to comes to mind.
I am hoping to attend more events. I was so entertained! I admire people that can express themselves in an artistic way. I can talk, but for some reason the concept of doing spoken word makes me so nervous. I am fighting the urge to run away from my computer right now.

It is so wonderful to listen to the words and stories of other people, creatively delivered while enjoying a nice glass of wine. I feel like an adult!

There was even a young girl there. She was getting up in front of a room of strangers for the first time! I had to tell her that she was impressing the hell out of me. I can babble in front of a crowd, but to read aloud, to strangers, the thoughts in my head is frightening. I realize, intellectually that there isn't much difference. "You go girl!" I thought as I saw this young, skinny and decidedly nervous child go to the microphone. She clutched a piece of paper in her hand with her thoughts written on it. She took a breath. Her soft voice escaped her mouth. She read her poem and thoughts of young love filled my mind like colors of a painting being created in my mind's eye, fleshed out in the words. I recalled feelings of being young and loving. I liked the poem, but not the feelings. Art can be like that.

There were other artists that shared their words. Crafted and sharp, lyrical and stunning. I even thought, "How did they know about me?" It couldn't be. Sometimes I don't realize that other people feel the same way about life, love, work and relationships as I do. I felt strangely connected to these people, strangers really, and disconnected from the many things that distract and worry me.
Yes. I think I would like to do that again. As a matter of fact, my sister's birthday is coming up and we are going to another poetry event.

I look forward to sharing more.

No comments: