Thursday, June 24, 2010

No Slam for me......it's going to be a great show!

THURSDAY, JULY 22ND
8PM - 10PM
KRANKIES COFFEE - 211 East 3rd Street, Winston Salem, NC 27101
(336) 722-3016‎


Support the Piedmont Slam team as they compete in a mock slam against The Bull City Slam Team, Slam Charlotte and other slam teams from the NC and SC area! This slam will be a fundraiser and preparation for the National Poetry Slam in St. Paul's MN, Aug 3 - 7.

I planned to participate in the slam, but I got this in an e-mail. I am a little disappointed about it. I am excited about the show! These people go at it like the rent is on the line. I'm still going. I don't know if there will be an open mic, so I guess I will be a spectator. That lady. You know the one. The one that hoots and hollers louder than anyone else. Not that drunk lady, no, no, no. I'm that enthusiastic one. The one that cheers for the new person and shows love to the artists that moved me that night.

I haven't written anything new, but I have been practicing my other pieces. I have the voice part recorded of two pieces and am at a stand still on recording others. I don't like the sound of my voice, but I like the sound of my twin sister's. The awful thing is that we sound almost exactly alike.

I have come to really enjoy spoken word performances. Sometimes I listen and the piece is thought provoking. Others, I am purely entertained. I love it when it is an experience. That is why I'm looking forward to the slam in July. There will be a few teams there and it should be interesting. A couple I have seen before and some I haven't. Since I can't go on the slam tour and see some of the larger competitions, it is nice to know that I will be able to see one of the stops on the Slam Tour.

Feel free to come on out. I'll be the loud one in the corner down front. Peace and Blessings.

No comments: