Friday, July 30, 2010

"Thank You & Good Night!"

"The best laid plans" and all that crap.

I'm kicking myself right now. I missed the slam! I've been waiting for months to attend this slam.

July 17th marked the beginning of a very welcome invasion. My sister and her family arrived Saturday evening and stayed until the 29th.

The day of the slam I went out with my sisters to go shoe shopping. I really don't like to shop for shoes for myself. I enjoyed the girl time with my sisters. We haven't done that before so it was nice to go to different places and try to find shoes that we liked. I actually found some shoes and was very pleased because the last time I went shoe shopping, I couldn't find anything and went home disappointed.

Anyway worked the night before and spread myself a little thin with what I wanted to get done. When we got home from shoe shopping, I had to sit down for a little bit. There is normally an open mic before the slam and I was thinking that I had time to rest up some before heading out to the slam. We left the house at 9 and got there just as the host was saying to the crowd, "Thank you and good night!"

Damnit! I missed every single word. Some of my favorite North Carolina poets were in attendance. Sigh, we chatted and socialized some and went for ice cream before heading on in to the house. I had to listen to my body and slow it down because bad things happen when I push too hard. God willing I will be able to attend something else in the future.

More to come...

No comments: