Thursday, August 5, 2010

My thoughts on loss...

In the past 10 years or so, I have had more friends than family members pass away. It seems like by the time I have dealt with the grief of one passing, the news of another comes down the line.

Every time I'm saddened about the passing of a friend or loved one, I want to remember the positive experiences I had with them.
-Admiring a co worker's frankness
-Joking with another about parking our car when we thought something was wrong, like just sitting would resolve whatever was making that noise under the hood
-telling my old manager the he was going to have to take me to HR when I lost the weight I was working to lose because I was going to be slapping people
-corny jokes
-The lesson in chivalry I witnessed when I went bowling with a couple of guy friends a few years back.

**You know that moment when you start to look at someone in a whole new way? Now they are all gone. Only memories, stories to tell when their name comes up in conversation with friends.

I never know what to say when someone passes. I don't know what I would want to hear so it is hard for me to think of what would comfort someone else. There is no making someone feel better when they lose someone they love. All we can offer is comfort and condolences. Sometimes there are no words.

No comments: