Friday, October 31, 2008

Adventures in the Kitchen, a note from a "Mad" Scientist

Soy flour is not good for frying. My last kitchen experiment proved this to be true. If I'd read a little about soy flour I would have saved myself some time and frustration. I don't like to fail when I cook. So after my disappointing "Soy experiment" I decided to bake up about 5 dozen chocolate chip cookies. They turned out just as I expected. Excellent!

I want to prepare savory food, but I always end up with the sweets. The holidays are approaching and I've been dusting off my favorite recipes. Banana Nut Bread, Chocolate Chip cookies with walnuts, sweet potato bread and pies. Next week's experiment will be another savory one. You have to be careful when you experiment with food. You have to eat your mistakes. Food is too expensive for all of that!

Thanksgiving will be in town for me this year. I have to work the day after so I am not straying to far from home base. It won't be at my house, but I will cook. Oh and will I cook! I actually feel excited about it. I have a cornbread recipe that will be wonderful for the stuffing, and I can do a great squash casserole. All within my plan to eat like I've got some sense.

I love the fall. The time of harvest. It makes me think of abundance. Even in these tough economic times. I am blessed to be able to put food on my table and socks on my children's feet. (Because we are not turning on that darn heat. I don't work for Duke Energy or whatever they are called now.) I bake when the weather gets cool. The heat is a comfort and the smells of cinnamon, sugar and butter fill the house. My daughters help me cook and bake. It is a time to create wonderful memories to last a lifetime.

I weighed today, but I couldn't read the scale. I don't know what the point of that exercise was. The scale was broken and the place I normally go to weigh was closed. I want to weigh on the same scale week after week. I want to trust that one scale will keep the other scales from lying to me. I think I lost weight, but I'm not sure. Since I feel like, I will believe it until that lying contraption tells me otherwise. I said that I would purchase a scale for at home use once I got down to 350. I ain't there yet. So for now I'll head to the "office" and weigh on Thursdays. I will try on the jeans tonight and see what progress we are making. When I am able to get those jokers on, it will be a whole new ball game! As a matter of fact the scream of utter satisfaction should be heard around the world!

More to come...

No comments: