Saturday, March 20, 2010

Creativity

I really like being around creative people. Not because I am not creative myself, but their creativity spurs my creativity. I think of it as a battery recharge.

I have written a lot lately about poetry and even a little poetry myself. I have even mustered the nerve to participate in a few open mics. For someone that loves the sound of my own voice, I am ever struck by how nervous I get when I grab a microphone or stand behind one.

I have decided that I am going to participate in a slam in July. Having committed myself to a date is exciting. Now I have work to do. I have managed to write a few new pieces and will work the performance out at my favorite open mic on Fridays. I want to make it past the first round. I think that is a goal for a first time slam participant. I have seen the caliber of artists that go to this slam and it is a lofty goal for sure.

I have decided that I want to learn 5 pieces. I have two of them down and am in the process of learning the third, a poem written in the voice of one of my daughters. The other two are in the process of being formulated in my mind. I may sing. That would shock some people I know. I don't know about all of that. We will see.

As it stands right now I have just been trying to get my friends to come and give me feedback on my performance. I am really looking forward to the day another part of me can be shared with the people that I have worked with and around for the past 9 years. I write a lot about the duality of a thing or situation, mainly because I feel split in two at times, between my home life and work life. I think these types of separation are important. No one should be professional all the time. No one can be. I guess the problem is when the perception becomes the persona and people don't know one from the other.

I believe that being able to express yourself artistically, creatively it crucial in self actualization.

Here's to achieving movement toward that end in 2010.

More to come..

No comments: