Saturday, March 6, 2010

Poem: I am more than I appear

I am more than I appear
Good friend - total shithead

I am more than I appear
passionate lover - distracted participant

I am more than I appear
My parents did a great job of teaching me to be polite. Most days.
My brother did an excellent job of making sure I am articulate. Most ways.

I am the sum of my experiences and the consequences of my decisions. The victim of my self consciousness. The strength of my convictions, right or wrong.

I am more than I appear
Don't let the sweet voice fool, my kind words are not all I have to offer.

At times I may seem exceptional, but I am broken in places. Confused and misguided, I have made my share of mistakes.

I am more than I appear.

I can sense the subtle sound of the mind's whispers.
I can feel the tension and excitement of words unspoken.
I observe the unnoticed and at the same time am oblivious to the overt!

You see, I have in me a dichotomy that reveals only a small part of me.
So pay attention. You may see me professionally, but you don't know how hard I play.

I am much more than I appear. I wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments: